Inkjet presses popped into our collective consciousness about seven years ago, at Drupa 2008. It was then that HP released it T-Series web presses, Kodak literally unveiled the Prosper (the press was kept behind a curtain which was lifted for presentations a few times a day), Fujifilm showed a prototype of its J Press 720, and Screen presented its Truepress JetSX.
Transcontinental’s revenue increased by 1.1% in its first quarter to $504.6 million from $499.3 million. The increase is attributed to the acquisition of Capri Packaging and the Quebec newspapers from Sun Media Corporation. Transcontinental also signed a new printing and distribution agreement in 2014 that contributed to the revenues increase.
This growth in revenues was mitigated by disposals and closures, specifically the sale of Rastar's assets, a reduction in marketing products printing activities, a transitional slowdown in flyer printing activities in the United States and, to a lesser extent, in Canada, and challenging market conditions for advertising spending.
The director of the WLU Press will now report to the university librarian. The Press will become a part of the new vision for a Library Cultural and Learning Commons, and will aim to become a financially sustainable press without subsidy from the university. MIT, Stanford, Purdue and the University of Michigan are some of the schools that have also undergone a library-press integration. >> continued
Chinese manufacturer CRON and ECRM have formed a joint venture to sell CRON’s CTP product line in North America and Mexico. The new company, CRON-ECRM cut the ribbon on its North American headquarters and showroom in Tewskbury, Mass., earlier this week with CRON founder and board chairman Mike Xiang, ECRM executives, and local and state dignitaries in attendance.
“While others look to digital, CRON will focus on CTP. There are hundreds of thousands of offset presses in the world that will keep working for a long time to come and they will need CTP,” said Xiang. Mike Xiang founded CRON 20 years ago >> continued
Delphax Technologies Canada Limited, a global provider of high-speed digital printing equipment, is installing an elan 500 cut sheet MICR inkjet press, for Public Works and Government Services Canada in Quebec City.
In order to further its focus on the trade printing market, PointOne Graphics Inc., has invested in the Morgana DigiFOLD PRO. The new machine, purchased through Sydney Stone, can crease and fold up to 6,000 sheets per hour and has an easy touch screen setup, to allow for high quality and efficient production.
Cimpress N.V. has announced that it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Exagroup SAS, a leading web-to print business in Europe, focused on serving French graphic arts professionals and printers.
Under the terms of the agreement, Cimpress will acquire 70 percent of Exagroup for a purchase price of approximately €91.5 million with an option to acquire the remaining 30 percent of the shares in 2019 for a price between €39 million and €47 million, subject to the achievement of financial performance targets for calendar year 2017. >> continued
CHICAGO, IL AND LONDON,UK—A new study commissioned by Two Sides states that major global corporations are still ignoring regulations put in place to protect consumers from misleading marketing claims. Specifically encouraging consumers to go paperless in order to save the environment—even though legislation is being introduced by advertising standards authorities to stop these claims.
The study, which took place in February 2015, revealed that in the UK, banks, utilities and telecoms are still making these environmental claims. In the US half of the leading fortune 500 companies are doing the same. >> continued